Friday, January 28, 2011

A Gift Wrapped In White

SNOW DAY
(part one)

You belong to one of two parties, the first: Snow days are a gift of free time. The second: Snow and snow days are a pain in the butt. Which are you? This is the second snow day we have had this school year, yet there isn't even enough to go play (10am). I've been bitter towards  the snow this year, apparently it decided to take a winter vacation this year and head south, like so many northerners that fall under the "snow is a pain in the butt" party.

My husband's family came to visit from Memphis TN this Christmas. I wanted so badly for it to snow while they were here, a true White Christmas.  We got a couple flakes (none of which were in the family) and alot of cold wetness. Last year we got the mother load! While it was fun on so many levels, after the 7th day, I changed parties and hopped in to the "snow is a pain in the butt" line.  When I was in the schools, I loved a good snow day, especially  those that were bogus, the kind where I could sleep in, then get in my car and run the roads and shop! I live on an emergency snow route. That being said, my street always gets cleared quickly and I'm on my way!

Although today is still a normal work day for me, the kids will be coming soon, and it's still a snow day! We've gotta do something fun, something special. I'm thinking some snowy art work and cinnamon buns. What do you do on snow days? Do you get snow days? What party do you belong to?

This is my Nephew in Memphis, enjoying all the snow down south!

Pain in the Butt Day
(part 2)

OK, OK, I spoke way to soon. I knew we were gonna get it, but still instant gratification, please! It's now almost 7pm and it is still snowing. I can not even open my front door! We live on a hill and the wind just picks up the snow and plops it right down on my door step. This is all news to me as it is our first real snow in the new  house. On the plus side I am inside with the embers of the fire glowing! Honey Dearest and Stink Butt are outside building their first real snowman of the season.

We did manage to get a few crafts in this afternoon. The boys painted on blue card stock with white paint, very exciting I know, but what do you expect for a 3 year old?  I made them snowflake quesadillas- talk about fancy! Then after nap time we baked some cookies.

We are expecting an overnight guest, hopefully any time now. Got a call from my Aunt that lives an hour and a half away saying that my Uncle would like to crash for the night if I'll have him. He works 20 minutes from us, left at 4:30 and is still not here!(7:15pm)  Does that give you an inclination how bad it is here?  Could you imagine having to drive I95 to get home on a day like this? So once again I find myself hopping in to the other party line, snow is a pain in the butt. On the positive side, I am very pleased that we could provide shelter in the storm, for my Uncle and it's always a good time when he is around.

It's bad out there. If you can stay home, let the snow people do their thing. Try to stay positive, and be thankful. Living on the emergency route I mentioned before I have heard the sirens more then I would like to tonight. This afternoon when Stink Butt heard them he exclaimed "Mommy- there's an emergency!" he then paused for a moment, and said "I hope everyone will be OK". It may not have been enough to melt the snow, but it sure did melt my heart.

update: after sitting in traffic for 5 plus hours and being 1.5 miles away from my house at 9:30 pm my uncle decided he had had enough of the traffic here, found a break in the median, turned around and headed south on 495. He got home safely by 11:30pm, 75 miles away.


Photo Taken By Flickr user Edward Hoover

2 comments:

  1. Adorable snowman and adorable little boy!

    I love snow days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you please post a more recent photo of drunken snow man?

    ReplyDelete