Sunday, January 23, 2011

Love Is In The Air

How long can I use my son as an excuse?  I often feel that people think I go over the top in preparation for holidays and celebrations. Sometimes I hear myself say "It's for the kids, the kids like it, it's fun". But secretly I'm the kid! It's for me, I like it, it's FUN!  I think it is because my life has revolved around the schools. Most people stopped being in a school (grade school) in their late teens. I on the other hand went back after a few years of higher education and became a Special Education assistant in the elementary schools. I loved the excitement of when holidays rolled around.  Each month there was a new calendar display;White snowflakes in January, Pretty little cherubs with tiny bows and arrows in February, and  perhaps four leaf clovers in March, whatever it was it was exciting. The trill of kids all excited about wearing pajamas to school or worrying about being pinched if they didn't wear green, love notes in a shoebox adorned with construction paper, love it! Does anyone out there remember those lifesaver lollipops you'd get in your valentine mailbox, the red ones with the creamy white swirls through them-yum! I always find it odd when speaking with an adult  from the "real world" about a Holiday when their response is "ohh, I didn't know it was Sinterklaas day... and you leave your shoes out, huh". We forget about all the fun stuff and things to look forward to as adults.

I just took down the last of my Christmas decorations outside today. It only took about an hour but it was a nice hour to myself, reflecting on what a wonderful Christmas our first Christmas in our new home was. The walls were bursting with family and friends, food galore and lots of fun! To think that Christmas is a mere 11 months away excites me all over again.  Although, I have plenty of other holidays and celebrations to think about until then.

First up I hear the little voice of a tiny cherub calling out to me. Hearts, Kisses, Red, Pink and White.  I'm already inspired to decorate let's just see what this St. Valentine guy has to offer. Stay tuned, Love Is In The Air!

1 comment:

  1. I loved the lifesaver lollipops! They were the best! I also remember the flowers that were delivered to the classrooms.

    ReplyDelete